A Choice of Nonviolence

"Nonviolence means avoiding not only external physical violence but also internal violence of spirit. You not only refuse to shoot a [hu]man, but you refuse to hate him [or her]." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Sanctuary and Deliverance Unveiled!

The Minority Coalition is proud to share this poem, by a Cassopolis High School student.
Delivered, Now Free, was read at the opening unveiling ceremony, Saturday, October 23rd:

Delivered, Now Free


By: Ce’ Anderson


Have you heard?

Dey comin’

Dey a comin

Dey comin after me

Is I to be scared?

Why should I fear?

There’s more up here than I’ve ever seen

A Quaker on my side to hide me



Have you seen?

A white man,

Hunting like a spy,

Suspicious as can be,

Telling his men where to capture slaves on land that is free



Have you felt?

A mothers pain,

When they barge in and take her baby away

Did you hear that scream?

Making her come out from hiding,

Childless mother held captive now crying



Have you heard?

I’s not goin back,

They can’t make me,

We fought the fight,

We got the victory,

We kept the faith,

And we is free!



Have you realized?

A raid took place so we can be delivered from slavery,

So we could all live free,

Free from all the suffering,

Free to have integrity

Free to love

Free to breath

Free to live in unity

Free to be proud of Cass County

1 comment:

  1. This poem is beautiful, and was beautifully read. I thought it was one of the most moving moments at the unveiling ceremony.

    ReplyDelete